Tuesday, January 29, 2013

She Parked In My Spot

I was early arriving to work this morning.  As I drove into the parking lot I saw someone had parked in my spot.  That thought has absolutely no bearing on what happened next.  As I went to pull in next to the Honda CRV who was parking in my spot, I totally lost control of my car because the parking lot was temporarily an ice rink; slick and smooth without a smidgen of traction.  I was about 7 car lengths away and driving slow.  When you are sitting in a vehicle that weighs 2,744 pounds and have no control of it even though the steering wheel is in your hands and the brake pedal is under your foot, it's a scary feeling.  I thought to myself, "Seriously?  This is not happening.  This is NOT HAPPENIN . . . Oh, yes, it just happened."  AiCarumba! I parked next to her and looked.  My front bumper put a dimple into her rear passenger side bumper.  I didn't know for sure it was a woman but most of the workers here are women.  I saw no damage to my car.  And yes, to be completely honest, I did consider parking several rows away and walking in as if nothing happened.  But I didn't.  I didn't want to be that person.  I wanted to be the kind of person who hits me next time.  I parked next to my victim and went in to confess to the property management person.   He grumbled about the parking lot not being salted.  He said he would talk to the Community Service Officer (CSO).   I wrote a note apologizing and giving her my contact information.  Another car almost slammed into her car as I was putting the note on the windshield.  I told the CSO officer she parked in my spot.  He laughed and said she deserved it.  The CSO looked up her plates and tracked down where she worked.  While I was in a meeting I saw my victim walk out to her car, take the note off her windshield, and walk around looking at the damage.   She called me. I apologized again.  She understood.  It was an ice rink when she parked too.  She said she would get an estimate for a bumper at the auto body and give me a call.  I said I would be glad to pay for her bumper.   This was not the best way to start the day but very, very far from the worst.  When I think about it, today may have cost me a few bucks but it also gave me a chance to be who I want to be.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...