Friday, January 18, 2013

State of Wonder

I have  a friend who really gets into books.  When she reads her emotions overcome her.  She will laugh, yell, or cry aloud as she reads.  I'm not usually like that.  I might smile or roll my eyes or frown but I'm quiet about it.  But if you had seen me as I finished listening to this book on Highway 10 Thursday night you would have thought my best friend died.  I was "Boo Hooo'ing" aloud, tears running down my face.  Golly, what a glorious ending.  I can't remember the last book I read with such a fulfilling ending.  For the first half of the book, I really wasn't so sure I would like it.  The main character, Dr. Marina Singh is a pharmaceutical researcher for Vogel.  Vogel is a drug company based in Minneapolis and Marina studies the effects of statins on cholesterol levels.  She works with Dr. Anders Eckman.  Marina is single, in her early 40's, and is having an affair with the CEO of Vogel.  She is the kind of woman who gets talked into doing things she really doesn't want to do.  Ann Patchett, the author, makes it very clear that she's a pushover over and over and over again.  But once you get past that the story really takes off.  Most of the story takes place in a remote area of the Amazon watershed.  I never saw the ending coming.  Like finding a new vein of gold in a mine, I've found a new author to enjoy.  I plan to read all her books.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...