Thursday, January 17, 2013

Tracking

We had some homework to complete before our most recent Master Naturalist meeting. We were to find a track and study it, write down our observations, sketch the track, and write 20 questions about it.  I found some tracks in my driveway Sunday afternoon and studied the heck out of them until my frozen fingers and toes drove me inside.  And I had 20 questions about the track.  Some were basic.  How heavy?  Was it a ring necked pheasant?  Has it been here before?  Why did it cross the driveway, and turn around before flying away?  Why was it alone?  Don't they usually travel in groups?  So I was ready when I got to my tracking class.  Our instructor is a Master Naturalist and a high school biology teacher.  His enthusiasm for tracking was contagious.  He encouraged us to encourage the deeper questions about tracking  If the deeper questions are asked, a track become more than a mark left by an animal; a track becomes a story.  He had some cool photos of tracks and cool stories that the tracks told.  His talk was inspiring.  Some photos of red fox tracks in the mud were so clear we could see the hairs behind the pads.  The next time I see some fresh mud I will be sure to stop and look at any stories that can be found there.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...