Sunday, December 10, 2017

Holiday Party

I went to a holiday party at a friend's house.  I invited a significant other who is a teen. I asked if she wanted to go.  She said yes. I said we won't stay long.  She said, "ok." She asked if her sister could come.  I checked and the answer was yes. Sister was coming. Suddenly sister remembered another engagement. So only two of us were going. I brought a desert and a holiday card. Significant other made a holiday card. She knows how to work the crowd.We were early so we drove around. The sun was setting. She wanted to take a picture. I pull over on a safe place. She takes a picture. I didn't know she was going to wade into the marsh to take the picture. She comes back dry and we proceed to the party. We are the first guests to arrive. Significant other totally charms the hostess. We are invited downstairs to the pet area. Pets are separated by species in rooms that are kept at different temperatures. I like animals. Reptiles are animals. I like frogs. I will even catch a frog if I can.  I prefer leopard frogs or tree frogs. I will pass on a mink frog.  Mink frogs smell like mink. Snakes are okay too but I involuntarily scream when I am surprised by one.  To go into a room with snakes in glass cages is OK but I don't want to stay too long.  When a snake looks at me and sticks out it's tongue I think of Adam and Eve and forked tongue and other evil villains.  When a dragon sticks out it's blue tongue at me I wonder if it ate a smurf. When a big old snake looks at me and starts making noises like Darth Vader, I am ready to high tail it out of there. I ask if she is ready to go.  Not yet.  The hostess says she'll be right back she has to stir the rice.Now I am alone with this teen and she is holding a freaking snake.  She says she can feel it constrict her arm.  She holds a legless lizard.  By the way, what is a legless lizard?  It's a snake! I am about to cry when it is time to eat. We eat. My date is gone. She is busy charming all 20 guests. She asks if she is youngest one here. I saw yes except for that tarantula downstairs. Downstairs she goes again.  She pets the German Shepard looking dogs. She holds the freaking ferrets. I ask if she is ready to go.  She says no. I remind her we want to leave before the business meeting.  I get out coats. She is not ready to leave. She is talking to the hostess.  The hostess says she has to start the business meeting.  I shut the door 2 minutes into the business meeting.  I have to go. I had the time of my life. I hope she did too. Now she wants to go on a field trip to look for timber rattlesnakes. I am so grateful she didn't drop the dragon. I would have been so embarrassed if I wet my holiday skirt. I say thanks.  She says thanks. She says she has allergies.  I advise her to take a shower and get the snake juice off her skin before she goes to bed.  She tells me children are more susceptible to Salmonella poisoning than adults. I am the most popular guest at the party (in my honest opinion) because I brought a young guest. I think I will have bad dreams that night but instead I dream about swimming. I know my head is on straight if I dream about swimming or flying.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...