Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Snow Buntings


 I walked to my local post office to drop off a letter to a relative. The air was cold and my hands were cold inside my gloves. My cheeks were red with the cold despite my coat, mittens and scarf. I was glad I had my wind pants on over my jeans. I was crossing the parking lot when I saw a small group of birds hopping around on the asphalt. Snow buntings! Seriously? In the parking lot? I have looked for snow buntings for years and only saw them twice. Both times I was in a vehicle moving down the highway. And here they are right by my feet! Snow buntings are the only songbird that nests as far north. Snow buntings are hardy little birds and it was a real treat for me to see one.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...