Saturday, October 31, 2020

Hungry Heart

 I read Jennifer Weiner (it's pronounced Why-ner)'s book Hungry Heart. In a series of essays she tells about her family, her upbringing, her education, her career, her love life, her children, her successes and her failures. I had not actually heard of her before but she is a famous writer and one of her books was made into a movie (In Her Shoes).  Her first book was titled Good In Bed. As I read the pages I was suddenly glad there are no writers in my immediate family because she is painfully honest about hers. Jennifer is a complicated person. As loudly as she advocates that women should accept and love their own bodies, she goes into a dark place when she is criticized for hers. She is very sensitive yet she continues to put herself out there hoping to be a voice for women who can't or won't talk about these things.  Jennifer is definitely a feminist yet she devotes an entire, painful, chapter to the television show, The Bachelor which is not a feminist show at all. That chapter was the worst. Sometimes she is downright funny. Her essay on how male writers are taken more seriously than female writers was very good. She is definitely a dog lover and I can relate with that.  I liked the book except for the chapter about The Bachelor. I have never watched that show and I don't intend to.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...