Saturday, October 3, 2020

The End Of A Trip

We left Medora and drove across the width of North Dakota. We crossed the Red River in Fargo, North Dakota. We were hoping to camp at Maplewood State Park so we stopped in Pelican Rapids for groceries. As it turns out, there is a pelican at the rapids in Pelican Rapids. Maplewood state park was at peak color when we visited. Unfortunately it was raining. Leaf peepers were not deterred by the rain. The campground was full and so were all the overlooks on the nature drive. I definitely want to return to this park in the fall but not on a weekend.

We got a little turned around. We drove past the Ottertail River and past Dead Lake where I had been before. As we came to a "T" in the road with the beautiful Ottertail Lake ahead of us, I suddenly knew where I was. My BFF's family store, The Corner Store, is still open for business. Her family sold the story decades ago but I insisted we stop. I used to stay over at this store sleeping in either the trailer or the ice fishing house next to the lake. I used to sort eggs at this store. I used to stock the shelves and arrange the Minnetonka moccasins at this store. Being in this store again brought back a flood of memories from the good old days.

 

1 comment:

Dianne said...

As soon as I saw that picture I knew it looked familiar. Since I am from ND just an hour from Ottertail Lake, I grew up staying in cabins with my parents on Ottertail. My sister and her husband live near the corner store within a mile. I loved Ottertail Lake and one year Don and I had a camper at the Ottertail Campground across the lake from the Corner Store. Graystone Lodge was right across the street on the opposite corner of the Corner Store also and we would eat there many times. My parents rented cabins there too many years ago when I was a mere teenager. There used to be a small camping area not far on the same side of the street going towards the exit to go to Battle Lake. A glassmate and her husband owned it and it was called Wheel and Tent. We camped there a few times too. My parents used to have a camper at Hackberry further around the lake. So many memories flooding back to me just seeing that picture of the Corner Store again..........

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...