Thursday, October 15, 2020

The War That Saved My Life

I just finished the achingly beautiful The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Bradley. The story starts out in London. Ada and her little brother, Jaime, live with an aggressive and abusive mother. Ada has a clubfoot and is forced to stay in the apartment at all times. Her mother tells others that Ada is "simple." When the London schoolchildren are evacuated to the countryside before world war two, Ada and Jaime also leave. They end up in a small town in Kent near the English Channel in the home of a woman named Susan. I don't want to give the story away because it's well worth your time to read.  Ada is the narrator and her voice is very powerful.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...