Sunday, February 20, 2022

Sucker

Today I joined 9 other people on a snow shoe hike up the Sucker River. I started out in snow shoes but the path was well packed so I left my snow shoes in the show and just walked in my boots which is easier for me. I was very surprised and pleased to see pussy willows already forming. Pussy willows are a sign of spring. The sun was shining and the temperature was 30 degrees. Here on the river the wind didn't blow as hard as it did up the hill. Today was a lovely day for a walk up the Sucker River.

The trail went from one side of the river to the other avoiding the open spots of water.  In one spot next to open water I could see that the ice was discolored and I could feel the sponginess of it. I kept making plans as I walked in case the ice gave way. My plan was to leap left or leap right depending on which side the river bank was. A walk like this up on the ice wouldn't be safe a month from now. We met other hikers, other snow shoers and cross county skiers and even one guy on a fat tire bike. This Sucker River corridor is so beautiful it could be a state park. Right now the sucker fish are heading up this river to spawn. I looked in the water as I hiked past but did not see any fish. We hiked for a couple of hours. I was glad to see my snow shoes were still there when I got back. 

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...