Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Montreal

 

We are in Montreal today. We parked in a parking lot near the old port of the city to view the port, the shops and the restaurants. As I got out of the car I heard what I thought was a grackle right near my head. Then I felt a blow to the back of my  head. The bird fluttered around my head while I yelled.  Before the bird could strike me a second time I moved away toward the trunk of a car. There, in the tree in a parking lot sat a red winged blackbird with his red epaulettes flashing in the sun. The red winged blackbird nest is located about a third of the way up the tree. Dang blackbird hit me in the head! I thought red winged blackbirds built their nests in the rushes along a lake. I guess urban Montreal blackbirds are different, Aside from the bird attack we did have a nice morning exploring old town Montreal.

After lunch we drove to Mount Royal. We walked up to the top. Here is the view of Montreal from the chalet.

Montreal is located on the Saint Lawrence River - the same river that brings the ships to Duluth. In the provinces of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, the traffic signs and advertisements are in both the French and English language. In Quebec, everything is in French which puts me at a disadvantage.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...