Thursday, June 23, 2022

The Book of Form And Emptiness

 Ruth Ozeki, the author of The Book Of Form and Emptiness, is also a film maker and a Zen Buddhist priest. Her very strange novel is confusing because it is told in  chapters with points of view from Benny Oh, Annabelle Oh (Benny's mother) and a book. Obviously there is some magic going on her because books can't talk or can they? Twelve year old Benny and his mother are distraught at the death of Kenji Oh. Kenji was a musician and a drug user but he was the glue that kept this family together. When he dies, Benny starts hearing things and Annabelle starts hoarding things. Things become very important to both mother and son. Benny is distressed and overwhelmed by what he hears. The family is falling apart with neither son nor mother coping without Kenji. I have never heard voices but I know people who have and I can understand why it would be distressing. I liked the book better once I understood the book was talking.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...