Sunday, June 19, 2022

Waabizheshikana Trail

I walked along the Waabizheshikana Trail again today. This trail runs along the Saint Louis River in western Duluth. Two years ago when I walked this trail there was dredging equipment scooping out sediment in this bay. This year I saw 6 fenced off areas in the bay. This is a shallow bay. The water can't be even 6 feet deep. The fence appears to be above the water level and not below.

I asked a lady walking by. She explained this is one of the areas the local agencies are trying to clean up first by dredging out the silt and then by planting native plants such as wild rice. She suspected the fences were to protect the wild rice.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...