Thursday, September 29, 2022

Kingsbury Creek Trail

 One of the reasons I chose to enroll in the hiking class at Senior U was to get some exercise while meeting other people. The other reason I chose to join up was to learn more trails to take. Last week we walked the Chester Creek trail that I have walked many times before. This week we hiked the Kingsbury Creek trail which was new to me. We parked at the trail head right next to the Lake Superior Zoo. We hiked over a creek (on a bridge) and then hiked up the hill so far I could see and hear the traffic on Highway 35. We hiked across the top of the hill towards Spirit Mountain before coming down again. We had a few drops of rain in the first five minutes but otherwise the weather was great. The weather was cloudy so I didn't have to wear my sun hat which is nice because I can see more without wearing a hat all the time. At first I worried I wouldn't be able to physically keep up with the group but I found I am doing just fine. I stay near the front. Some people are much slower walkers and we often have to stop and wait for them to catch up. I have learned to avoid the man who wears shorts and a cowboy hat because he plays music on his phone constantly and he likes John Denver very much. I think playing music while hiking with a group in the woods is a tad rude so I just avoid him. We were encouraged to bring our hiking sticks if we had them. I have some yet for some reason I hardly ever use them. I used them today and they came in handy especially when we had to climb up some rocks that were farther apart than is comfortable for someone my height. On the way back I thought I heard a lion roar. I forgot we parked by the zoo.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...