Wednesday, July 19, 2023

International Crane Center

Yesterday we drove from near Gary, Indiana through Chicago to Baraboo, Wisconsin to visit the International Crane Center. Here is a grey crested crane. When I was in Kenya in 2008,  I was in a van. Our tour group was taking a short cut through a farmer's field. Our guide said, "Look to the left. There is a grey crested crane." Sure enough, I saw a tall skinny bird with a wonderful gold crest on it's head walking elegantly through a field. I was impressed. I decided then and there that I wanted to learn about birds so I could have the same effect on others as that guide had on me.

So a grey crested crane got me started on birdwatching.

This is a wattled crane.

Siberian cranes have ridges on their bills to tear touch vegetation out.

Whooping Cranes are cool.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...