Friday, June 14, 2024

Steamboat Days

 Steamboat days has been going on here for a couple of days and will end on Sunday. I am staying in the historic district of downtown Winona. To get to the carnival I walk out my front door, across 4th street, straight down to 3rd street and that is where the fun begins. Rides are for kids and adults. Some of the adult rides have people swinging and hanging upside down right over my head which is scary for me. They sell all sorts of unhealthy foods like cotton candy, slushies, hot dogs, corn dogs, ice cream, and French fries slathered in cheese. This is all taking place between my lodging and Levee Park which is next to the Mississippi and the Wisconsin border. Tomorrow there is a pancake breakfast at the bank and bingo in the afternoon. Tonight, after supper, I strolled down there to look around. A street performance was just ending. There was a very flexible guy about to do a daring feat. He got two larger guys from the audience to put him in a strait jacket and buckle him tight. His arms were crossed in front of him. Next the two guys wrapped a length of 50 pounds of chain around his neck and around his torso and padlocked it shut on both sides. He wriggled. He contorted. He tossed his head around I thought he was going to bang his forehead on the street. After 3 minutes he got the chain off. After another 30 seconds he got the strait jacket off too. He was a regular Houdini. I have never seen such a thing in my life. 


No comments:

Central High School

Today I drove to downtown Little Rock to visit the Central High School National Park. This is a gas station restored to look like 1957 acros...