Thursday, October 15, 2015

Beets

I don't like beets.  I get beets as part of my csa allottment every week for the past seven weeks and I give them away.  They thank me and I thank them for taking them off my hands. One week I kept the beets thinking I would try to make red velvet cake without the food coloring.  Those beets are in the freezer.  This weekend, talking to a person who loves beets, I got the idea to make pickled beets.  I kept one beet, roasted it in the oven for almost an hour, peeled it, sliced it, and soaked it in apple cider vinegar overnight.  I ate it at lunch today.  I can't say I loved it but I did manage to eat the entire beet.  I guess beets are like cucumbers.  I don't like cucumbers either but I can tolerate pickles.  I think it's odd that vinegar improves the taste of some things because alone, vinegar is nasty.  Finally, I found a way to eat beets.  Maybe next year I won't have to give so many away.

No comments:

Time Of The Lotus Bloom

Now is the season for the blooming of American lotus. The flowers near shore stand higher above the water line than the flowers in deeper wa...