Friday, March 3, 2023

Brown Versus The Board Of Education

This morning I hit the highway in Tulsa at 7:15 a.m. Traffic was heading south into town so I was lucky. Rain fell steadily until almost 11. I stopped to buy gas in Altoona when I saw this big rooster. Today I didn't count the skunks on the road but I did count 13 hawks, 3 Northern Harrier and 10 red-tailed hawks.

I arrived at Brown Versus The Board of Education National Park at 11:15. Two school buses full of children were here with their teachers. Having students of color see the exhibits at the same time I did made for a better experience.

We were watching a movie of a lynching. The teacher said one person hanging in the rope was a doll and one was an actual person. One black young man, taller than me, said "I can't watch this anymore." I silently agreed and left with him.



This artwork was located in the Colored Kindergarten room.



After I checked into my hotel I went to a local park for a walk. Mallards floated in the water.


This was also in the Colored Kindergarten room.

I went to the store to buy two postcards. The ranger asked if I was a teacher. I admitted I used to be a teacher. He gave me the teacher's discount.

This prairie was burned recently. I could still smell the smoke. I heard fox sparrows and tufted titmouse and red bellied woodpeckers and robins singing in here.
This kitchen was in the Colored Kindergarten room. When I got to my hotel it was sketchy. I saw my room and went back to the desk to ask for a lamp, the ice machine and the WIFI code. The man gave me the Wi-Fi code and said he thought I would cancel the booking as soon as I saw the room. He said the ice machine hasn't worked for 7 years. He carried a nice lamp to my room. I went to turn on the television and the batteries had been removed from the remote. Wow. Then I read the reviews on my next place, cancelled that stay, and rebooked another nicer hotel. Live and learn! I definitely need to get back in here tomorrow before sunset or my Honda Fit will turn into a pumpkin and my four new tires will turn into mice.


 

No comments:

Time Of The Lotus Bloom

Now is the season for the blooming of American lotus. The flowers near shore stand higher above the water line than the flowers in deeper wa...