Friday, April 19, 2024

Cataloochee

Today I went to a different area of Smoky Mountains National Park. I went to the Cataloochee overlook. This area was much less crowded. That spot of yellow between the trees is my car in the parking lot. The road to get there started out fine with a four lane highway. When I turned off the highway the road was narrow and winding and about 45 mph. Then the road went down to 35 mph. At the last house on the road the pavement went to gravel. This road was so narrow two cars could not pass. For about 10 miles I drove on this narrow road with curves so sharp I had to go 5 mph. I have never driven on such a dangerous road before and it was thrilling. When I got to the National Park the road went back to asphalt and was wider. I was ready to be done driving so I parked in the first spot I saw. I took my lunch and started walking down into the Cataloochee valley. After an hour of walking I came to the river, turned around, and started hiking back to my car. Hooded warblers were calling from the trees.

The Smoky Mountains National Park is one of the most visited parks in our country so today was nice to get a break from the crowds.

 

No comments:

One Puzzling Afternoon

 Emily Critchley is the author of One Puzzling Afternoon , a mystery historical fiction novel set in a small town in the British Isles. Edie...