Monday, April 8, 2024

Green Swamp

Years ago I went to a class about carnivorous plants. The speaker said there was a swamp near the North Carolina/South Carolina border. I wanted to visit the swamp ever since. Since Myrtle Beach is near the border I decided to drive 40 miles north to visit Green Swamp Nature Conservancy.

I saw about 80 of these swallowtail butterflies during my two hours at this swamp.

I met a couple of hikers and I asked them what they saw. They said they saw a couple Venus flytraps and sundew but they were very low to the ground. I came upon these yellow pitcher plants that were as high as my knee.

And they were beautiful.

The Nature Conservancy does periodic burns here to keep up the place.

I am glad I came to visit the swamp.

 

No comments:

Crow Mary

  Kathleen Grissom is the author of Crow Mary , a book inspired by a indigenous woman named Goes First who married a white man named Abe Far...