Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Skyline Drive

This morning I started driving the Skyline Drive of the Shenandoah National Park. I had great weather. I started at the south eastern end of the park and drove northwest finishing about 5 p.m. The speed limit is 35 mph but I often went slower. Congested areas have a speed limit of 25 mph. The road is smooth and in great shape. I stopped at one visitor center about 10:30 to walk for an hour. This road has about 500 scenic overlooks. I didn't stop at them all. In the Smoky Mountains National Park admission is free but you pay for parking in one place for more than 15 minutes. I paid $15 for a five day pass. Here there is no fee for parking but I had to show my senior national park pass.

I saw many squirrels and 4 deer and turkey vultures, red tailed hawks, Carolina wrens and tufted titmouse.

The first section of the park has the highest elevation. I stopped for lunch at 1 o'clock at the Grand Meadow visitor center. Here, in the middle of all these mountains, was a huge meadow. Field sparrows called as I walked through the meadow. I saw dozens of people biking on this road. 

These two does seem to enjoy running with me down the road. I had a great day driving on mountain roads making sharp turns and going up and down hills.

At my third and final hike of the day I came upon a puddle in a dirt road. Tadpoles were swimming!

 

No comments:

Crow Mary

  Kathleen Grissom is the author of Crow Mary , a book inspired by a indigenous woman named Goes First who married a white man named Abe Far...