Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Hour I First Believed

I listened to this book on CD. I've been doing a lot of driving because of my night classes and even with all that, it was a struggle to get the book listened in 3 weeks. "The Hour I First Believed" by Wally Lamb has put Wally into my list of favorite authors. Normally I don't get emotional about books. If I read something funny I might smile but not laugh out loud. One day I went into my job with tears streaming down my face. A friend asked me what was wrong. I answered, "Nothing. It's just a book I'm listening to - it made me cry." The recent shootings at Ford Hood made this book all the more poignant because a big part of it takes place at Columbine High School. The book really describes what it was like to be in that school as the two students went through the library taunting people before murdering them. The main character, Caelum Quirk, is no angel. He has serious anger issues. But his love of his wife, Maureen, is something tragic yet beautiful to witness. I really liked Lamb's style of depicting his characters. Two thumbs up for "The Hour I First Believed."

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...