Thursday, November 10, 2011

An Object of Beauty

Steve Martin wrote An Object of Beauty.  I didn't like it nearly as much as his other book, Shopgirl.  In this book, Martin explores the current art industry in New York City by talking about Lacy Yaeger.  Lacy is young, ambitious, pretty, charming and clever.  She works at Sotheby's art auction.  From that job she goes on to work at other art galleries.  She mingles with the rich and famous trying to get ahead.  By reading this book, I learned quite a bit about the art industry.  I think it's as crazy and volatile as the stock market.  The story is told by Daniel, one of Lacy's friends.  Daniel tells a straight story and is not always complimentary of Lacy.  Lacy is an intriguing character - one of those people I'd like to know but would never want to count on.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...