Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Traveling Bug

This morning I brought Meredith, the hen, a fresh piece of cucumber to munch on. She was outside, enjoying the warm sunshine and fresh air.  I filled the bird feeders.  I added potato peels and banana peels and orange rinds to the compost.  I saw that deer had eaten a large part of my jack-o-lantern.  As long as I was out there I thought I would add the 9 bags of leaves I had from another yard.  My two compost piles were full but I added leaves to the top.  Now I have two compost piles piled high.  They look like leafy ice cream cones, one square and one round.  As I emptied the bags I found a bug.  This bug was so exquisite in appearance I had to stop and admire it's beauty.  The shape was a long oval.  The bug had a slender lime green body, extra long antennae, and lacy, translucent wings with veins showing.  I know these leaves were bagged 17 days ago.  This bug was in good shape for having lived 17 days inside a black plastic bag and being roughly transported 25 miles northwest.  The bug was sluggish but still moving around.  A compost pile isn't the worst place for a bug to ride out the long winter.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...