Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Stream Monitoring

I volunteer for the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency by monitoring two streams during the warmer months, mostly May through early October.  One of my spots is on the Rum River at the Pleasant Avenue bridge in Anoka.  You'd be surprised how many people have spotted me there throwing a bucket over the bridge.  My other spot is on Coon Creek in Coon Hollow - a pedestrian bridge just west of East River Road in Coon Rapids.  We supposed to monitor regularly - at least a couple times a year.  I try to get to both spots at least 3 times a month.  I enjoy it.  Taking five or ten minutes to look over a stream, I judge it's appearance, and measure the temperature of the water.  I pull up some water in my trusty metal bucket on a rope and pour it in a 60 centimeter Secchi tube to measure the clarity of the water.  The Rum River is always clearer than Coon Creek.  I estimate whether the stream depth is high, normal or low.  This last measure is a little hard.  On Coon Creek, a homeowner has a hose sticking out of the bank.  I use that hose to measure the depth of the water.  On the Rum River I can see water marks on the cement buttresses of the Highway 10 bridge.  A homeowner has wooden planks on the shore and I use those too.  I always document when I see ducks or geese or swallows or dragonflies.  You can really appreciate a spot when you go back to check on it regularly and notice the changes. I have had people ask me what I am doing.  Kids feel free to ask.  Police officers feel free to ask.  I had one boater (who I didn't notice at first) attempt to pull on my bucket in order to scare me.  Mr. Funny Man.  There are more streams that need monitoring.  You may want to adopt a stream for yourself.  Be a citizen scientist.  The Pollution Control agency will show their appreciation by giving you a t-shirt or cap after you complete and turn in a year of results.  You can see the results of all my work (and all the other stream monitors) by visiting this website: http://cf.pca.state.mn.us/water/cmp/index.cfm

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...