Sunday, October 21, 2012

War!

I've been hunting the thorn this weekend. I have come out of the battle somewhat victorious although bloodied, scratched and injured.  Armed with a loppers, pruning saw, bow saw and a squirt bottle of "Brush B Gone" I advance on the enemy.  I snip and spray while saying aloud, "Suck It!"  The buck thorn is drawing it's fluids back into the roots in the fall so the nasty plant draws the poison right into the heart of the root.  But the buck thorn is a tricky plant who plans to survive my attack.  The sneaky thorns grows amid the poison ivy, creating it's own poisonous moat.  The nasty buck thorn will hide it's cut stem under the leaves so I can't see it to administer the poison.  When I cut a 12 foot tall tree, it nearly always falls on my head.  Statistically, not that many trees should be falling on my head when there are 360 degrees of possibility.  In this war, me against the thorn, who will come out on top?  I see an army of thorn in the woods around me and it's scary.  Those dark green leaves of the enemy remain unmolested on neighboring property.  This is war!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...