Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Creatures of the Kingdom

I was on my way to the gym and looking for a book to read when I saw this one on the bottom of a stack in the kitchen. I grabbed it not knowing how long it had been there.  Here was a treasure just waiting for me.  James Michener wrote Creatures of the Kingdom.  Usually Michener writes very long and well researched books that are so thick you wouldn't want to carry them to the gym.  This collection of short stories was easier to carry and perfect for distracting me from my exercise.  Sixteen short stories were delightful and educational.  His love of nature is contagious and I now have a new fondness for armadillos and mammoths.  The final chapter, "Genghis Khan and the Colonel" is about a squirrel/bird feeder dispute and is very entertaining.  
 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...