Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Biome Cookies

While making cookies for the annual north metro Master Naturalist party tonight I decided to make cut out cookies.  Unable to find my usual star, Santa, candy cane and other traditional shapes I was left with what I could find. What I could find was cutters in the shapes of a turkey, the state of Florida, and the state of Minnesota.  I didn't make any Florida cookies but I did make Minnesota cookies and turkey cookies.  When I went to frost the sugar cookies a big glob of green frosting fell across the cookie from the southeast to the northwest.  I was about to spread it out when I realized I was looking at the big woods, big river biome.  Biomes, in case you don't know are ecological areas distinct from each other.  Minnesota has four biomes but are generally combined into three - the big woods/big rivers, the prairie and potholes (to the west and south), and the north woods/great lakes (to the north and east) biomes.  With my frosting dribble I had accidentally created one of the most common Master Naturalist icons.  When I finished my class on the big woods, big river biome my pin was gold with a green stripe on it just like this frosting on the cookie.  Dribbling a glob of frosting diagonally across the cookie is easier than spreading it and is more iconic anyway so "win/win" for me.  Nerdy and delicious, I'm bringing biome cookies to the party tonight.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

You are such a genius!!! LOL

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...