Monday, November 19, 2012

Project Feederwatch Update

Hairy woodpecker-3, Downy Woodpecker-4, Northern Flicker-1, Red Bellied woodpecker-2 (see photo), Black capped chickadee-5, White Breasted Nuthatch-3, Goldfinch-4, American Crow-2, Northern Cardinal-2  This weekend I was watching a red bellied woodpecker eat at the suet feeder.  He would take a good sized chunk of suet, carry it over to the bird bath, drop it in the water, pick it up, drop it in the water, pick it up again and fly off with it.  Was he cleaning his food or just marinating it?  In any case, I really appreciated the beauty of the red bellied although if I could choose the name I think I would call it red necked woodpecker.  The black and white pattern on the back are very striking next to the orange-red head and vulnerable white neck and cheeks.  He looks like he's dressed up for a formal occasion.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...