Saturday, November 10, 2012

Office Creatures

I've been in my new office for 7 months now.  As I adjust to my new surroundings I find more things to like and more things to dislike.  I like the warmth of the office.  In my old office I had to use an electric throw to maintain my temperature.  This office is warmer.  On sunny days the afternoon can be downright warm in there.  I like having a window.  I like my new neighbors.  I like the proximity to the conference rooms, copier, mailboxes and fax machine.  Turns out other creatures like my office too.  When the first boxelder bug landed I felt a little zen about it.  Live and let live and all that.  Then I had five.  Still feeling zen.  Then a visitor grabbed a tissue and killed one and I thought maybe I should do that too.  Live and squish bugs now.  With one tissue I can destroy up to four boxelder bugs.  They make a little snapping noise when you crush them.  With the cloudy weather I was gathering a half dozen bugs a day.  On Thursday I looked through a plastic box holding papers I seldom use.  The box sits right next to the office window.  I pulled papers out looking for one in particular.  I found several bugs between the pages.  When I got to the last page and picked it up I was totally disgusted to find a boxelder party going on.  At least 25 boxelder bugs were crowded together under the paper in this plastic bin.  I don't mind killing one or two or even four but 25 bugs at once?  Yuck!  Friday was a sunny day and the boxelder bugs were active.  I killed ten bugs yesterday.  An office neighbor tells me that before my office was constructed boxelder bugs congregated in the open space where my office now is.  I hope I am coming to the end of the boxelder bug population and can go back to my zen state.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...