Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Slide Rock

On my trip out west it was a HUGE PLEASURE to introduce Slide Rock to my family members.  I knew they'd love it.  Oak Creek has a hard and slippery rock chute as it runs through this beautiful canyon located between Flagstaff and Sedona in Arizona.  Slide Rock has a natural water slide.  It's great for kids in the summer.  So far I have been here twice.  I came once in the summer but the canyon was closed to swimmers because of a high e-coli count.  The second time I visited was in December and it was open to swimming but Brrrr - too cold!  Someday it would be nice to swim in it.  I am not sure if I can take the rock slide down. The water moves pretty fast and I don't want to get banged up on the rocks.  The younger version of me would have jumped at the chance to slide down these beautiful red rocks.  On this visit I had to be content to walk on the rocks up and down the creek bed.  I maybe should have taken it a little easier.  I'm not at my strongest yet after hip replacement a month earlier. I walked up the canyon and got myself stuck.  The rock was too high to climb up.  I was right on the edge of the water so I couldn't go that way.  In order to get back to the beginning I had to sit on the rock ledge and slide myself downstream one butt width at a time.  That was a lot of sideways sliding and this movement, repeated 30 times, resulted in a sonic wedgie; the worst wedgie of my life.  My personal care attendant (sibling) was there to help me out so she watched guard as I adjusted myself in privacy.  This trip to Slide Rock was extra special because I got a "lifer" there.  I saw an American dipper.  And what was the American dipper do?  The American dipper dipped!  Every few seconds the American dipper would do a deep knee bend.  I think it's hilarious when a bird is named for it's behavior.  Well, woodpeckers aren't as funny but that is only because I've seen and heard so many.  Another good name for it would be American bobber. After frequent dipping the American dipper would submerge itself in the fast moving stream.  Water was sluicing over it's head creating new ripples.  While walking on the stream bed or swimming this little bird eats aquatic insects and other snacks that can be found in a fast moving stream.  Seeing this unexpected little bird brought me great joy to my trip. Here is a picture!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...