Thursday, December 1, 2016

There Is Something I Want You To Do

One good thing about having hip surgery and being off work is that it gives me more time to read.  Before I went to the hospital I stopped at the library and chose random books set facing the aisles. At my library, the librarians choose their favorite books and set those sideways.  I've had great luck getting books that way and it was my good fortune to pick up Charles Baxter's There is Something I Want You To Do.  I chose this one because it was a collection of short stories.  I was worried that I would not be able to focus on a long novel right away.  Each short story was about a different person living in Minneapolis.  Some of them meet each other but most don't.  The ten stories come in two categories: virtues and vices.  One of the characters in a pediatrician and he appears in several stories.  Like the others, he is a genuine person trudging through life trying to do his best.  This was an excellent book.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...