Thursday, January 24, 2019

Subway Shenanigans

In Athens we visited the Parthenon.  I took a series of wonderful photos of the ancient ruins high on a hill. Unfortunately I cannot show you any of those photos. After three days in  Athens we traveled to Nafplio which is a small town on the coast. To get to Nafplio we walked for 20 minutes and hopped on the subway to travel to the bus station. The subway was crowded so we had to stand. I stood near Offspring #1. I had my bag and my backpack. My youngest granddaughter was a few feet away and, as usual, she was turning her head to the side making cute faces at me. So I did the same to her. At the second stop the subway car was full of people.  I was bumped on all sides as people crowded onto the car. Everyone was standing shoulder to shoulder. I kept making cute faces as my granddaughter. As the subway pulled up to the Acropolis station I felt something move at my waist. I looked down to see the man standing next to me trying to pull my car keys and wallet out of my pocket. I yanked myself away and yelled at him. Just at that moment the subway doors opened and he left. I was glad to save my car keys and my wallet because I had important stuff in there. At the time I did not realize that he had already removed my camera, my phone, and another wallet.  In that other wallet I had a small amount of cash and one debit card. At the bus station I took stock of what I had and didn't have. I was able to call the bank and cancel the debit card before any purchases were made. I called Offspring #2 about the stolen phone because I am on her phone account. And the camera, well, that is gone. I hope the pick pocket enjoys looking at photos of the Parthenon and also some videos of moose from Isle Royale. The pick pocket must have been a professional. I never felt the zipper on my back pack being opened.  I never felt his hand open the velcro on my vest and remove the phone and the wallet. I didn't even hear the velcro opening! I am lucky he didn't get my other things. The situation could have been a lot worse. I learned a good lesson and I will be more careful in the future.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...