Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Nature's Nether Regions

Ironically the author of Nature's Nether Regions: What the Sex Lives of Bugs, Birds and Beasts Tell Us About Evolution, Biodiversity and Ourselves, is from the Netherlands. He is actually from the town of Leiden.  Last year about this time I was in Leiden to visit a former Girl Scout and her fiancĂ©e. Why an author would devote so much time and effort into genitals is beyond me. I guess he is very interested in the mechanics of mating. I found this book highly entertaining.  Perhaps it is my third grade sense of humor but while reading the chapters at work in the break room I would frequently snicker aloud. You would have to read this book to believe some of the crazy ways organisms mate. Even hermaphroditic mollusks have an absolutely preposterous situation going on. And the beetles - don't get me started on the beetles. After reading this book I now realize that humans mate in a boring fashion compared to the other creatures on this planet. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...