Tuesday, September 17, 2019

While traveling in Japan we spent nearly all of our time in large cities. Besides Yokosuka we went to Tokyo, Kyoto, Yokohama, and Osaka. I think I heard the most English speakers in Yokosuka and Toyko. We found it difficult to order meals or ask questions in the other towns. The streets are very crowded although the tourist season ended the beginning of September. People in Japan use yen as money. A thousand yen is about ten dollars. Food in stores was cheap but food in restaurants seemed expensive. People do not tip here except at American places such as the military hotel we stayed in. Credit cards are not used except at the airport and the military bases. Public transportation was great. I bought a travel card that can be used on trains and buses and shops in the train station. At the end of the trip I turned my card in at the airport and got any remaining value in yen. We took very many rides on buses and trains. Some times the public transportation was crowded. Some people immediately appeared to go to sleep as soon as they sat down. Others read books or stared at their phones. Several train cars had a sign that said women only between 7 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. I saw practically no litter even though the public trash cans are very rare. People are expected to take their trash home to get rid of it. Recycling is very important. Cartons must be rinsed and dried and the plastic hole cut out with a scissors before it can be recycled. Plastic bottles must have the label removed, the lid removed and that tiny ring around the neck of the bottle removed. Removing that tiny ring is not easy to do. Bathrooms were readily available, free of charge, and very clean. I saw a few squat bathrooms but most were the automatic flush. Some public bathrooms sense when you sit down and automatically play the sound of running water. This confused me at first because I thought there was running water beneath me. The sound is to mask any sounds the user might make. Most of the flush toilets had bidet and a drying button. You can choose the temperature of the water of the bidet and the fan. Toilet stalls had child seats attached to the wall so you can strap your baby in the seat while you take care of your own needs. Electricity is nearly the same as in the United States except the outlets are two prong instead of three prong. Bedrooms have a heating/air conditioning machine up near the ceiling. You can also select dehumidifier. If you do select dehumidifier you really don't need air conditioning at night. Vending machines are on every block. Most of the vending machines sell bottles and cans of coffee, tea, and sugary juices. In Kyoto there was a large garden on the  next block from our place. I could see the rows and rows of 3 feet high bushes laden with purple eggplant. Next to the garden was a vending machine. For 200 yen you could buy 4 potatoes, 3 onions, or two squash. At one of the ramen restaurants we went to we used the vending machine to buy a meal. The machine gave us a ticket which we gave to the waitress. Shopping was difficult for me because i cannot read Japanese. Google has a translate app you can use but that isn't always accurate. We looked at a jar of what we thought was jam and the google app said purple balls. Another time we used the app at a box of crackers and it read seven levels of punishment. We chose not to buy that. If I saw a picture of a cow on the label I figured it was a dairy product. Seven Eleven stores are on every other block. You can buy nearly everything you need including liquor at Seven Eleven. I did not see much cheese. We bought a lot of rice balls. These are triangular blocks of rice filled with fish or soy sauce or sea weed or sesame paste or bean paste or meats. Each block is wrapped in a sheet of sea weed. If you open the package correctly you do not have to put the sea weed back on the rice ball. The sea weed is edible. I liked the soy sauce rice balls but I would not like to eat them every day. Sugar is added to many items that are available without sugar here. I bought a bottle of what I thought was black coffee but it was sugared coffee. I bought a package of what i thought was wheat buns but there was a blob of sweet butter inside the middle. I picked up another package of buns thinking they were currant buns but they turned out to be buns with tiny hot dogs baked inside. We saw a lot of ice cream shops and candy shops. Candy shops sell gelled blobs covered in sesame dust. I do not know what the flavor of the gel was. All I could taste was sugar. Kit Kat bars come in all kinds of flavors including wasabi. Edamame and soybeans products were common but I saw very few other kinds of beans. All products in the store are wrapped in plastic including individual apples. Tofu was available on 20 different varieties where as here we can get firm, medium or soft. Many kinds of noodles were available but few sauces. The water in Japan tasted good. I found places to refill my water bottle when ever I needed to refill it. The people I met were polite and kind. I saw many people dressed very well. I saw a few people who were obviously wealthy but I didn't see any who looked obviously poor. Most people wore designer logos on their clothes or shoes or hats. School kids wore uniforms. The girls wore skirts and white shirts and penny loafers. The boys wore pants and white shirts. All of the uniforms were blue either solid or plaid.  Children were very independent. I saw a five year old walking down a busy street in his uniform and he got on a city bus. I think he was five but it is hard to tell because most people in Japan are shorter than I am. If a kid that young did that here the parents would be in trouble for child  neglect. I saw a few people using wheelchairs or walkers. The walkers there looked more convenient than the walkers I see here. We saw one blind woman at a mall on an elevator. She got off on a floor of the mall that opened into the parking lot. We could not help her because of the language barrier but a man filling the vending machine stopped his work to help her out. Baseball seems to be a popular sport in Japan. We saw more baseball fields than soccer fields. Playgrounds for children were fairly easy to find. People walk and drive on the left side of the road. I understand that Japan decision to stay left goes way back in time before cars were invented. Warriors wore their swords on the left so they could be removed easily by the right hand. When the warriors passed each other while walking on the right their swords got tangled up so they walked on the left. People seemed vary obedient and law abiding. In all the time I spent on city streets I saw only one jay walker. Even if a crowd of people are waiting to cross a street and no cars are even visible they wait for the light to change. The highways were amazingly smooth and free of pot holes. The highways have barricades that are high and arching inward. City roads were narrow. Some lanes are so narrow two cars could not pass each other. Parking spaces are small and everybody backs into the parking spaces. Public parking is expensive. Ambulances make that same "bee - doo" sound as Italian ambulances did. Police and fire trucks sound like American police and fire trucks. I saw plenty of birds and bugs. The cicadas here are three inches long and very loud all day long. I saw no mammals except dogs and cats. The weather was warm and extremely humid. People carried cloths to wipe the sweat off their faces. Umbrellas are used for rain and for sun. I found that a handy way to avoid sun burn too although walking through a crowd with an umbrella can be tricky. Sometimes I had to hold the umbrella very high to avoid poking anyone. At busy shrines and shopping areas young men and women pay to dress up in kimonos and wear those wooden shoes that look difficult to walk in. The wooden sandals have wooden bars across the bottom. The wood shoe bed is supposed to be inches shorter than your foot which cannot be comfortable. I saw quite a few people stumble wearing those very loud wooden shoes. Besides renting the outfit and the shoes customers can get their hair styled in traditional fashion. The women wear ornaments in their hair and some paid to get make up applied. I thought about trying it but the weather was so hot and  humid I did not want to get swathed in polyester fabric. Japan felt very foreign to me but maybe that is because it was my first time there. Next time Japan probably won't be as intimidating as it was this time.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...