Sunday, November 24, 2019

A Long Mow

Three weeks ago I used my lawn mower to bag up most of the leaves off the lawn. Before I started that chore I put in enough gas to get the job done. I always like to run the engine dry before I quit mowing for the season. Today I thought I would trim up the yard, even though it didn't need a trim, just to burn up that little bit of gasoline in the tank. Little bit of gasoline my foot. I mowed the back yard. I mowed the front yard. I mowed the driveway. I mowed all the paths in the woods. I mowed the back yard again. I mowed the front yard again. Just like Stega Nona and her never ending pot of pasta, this lawn mower gas never seemed to burn up. Why did I put so much gasoline in the tank last time? I mowed and mowed. I got tired and sat on a rock while holding the lawn mower handle to keep the engine running. That seemed silly so I mowed some more. In the back yard I cross hatched the lawn so it looked like a well groomed turf. By now it is getting dark. Trucks driving by have their headlights on. This lawn mower is still purring along without hesitation. I see many other things I could be doing as I walk around and around the yard.  Now that my house is for sale, this could be the last mowing I do here so I try to enjoy it. I mow the driveway again. Long grass in the driveway makes the first shoveling difficult. Finally I hear a hesitation in the engine. I mow up to the garage door. The sun has set and the chickens have gone to bed. Finally the engine dies and the job is done.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...