Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Leskinen Creek Campsite

Today I hiked from the community center in Finland, MN southbound to the bog where I left off yesterday because of a broken board walk.

After a .3 miles spur from the parking lot and a short distance I crossed the east branch of the Baptism River.

From there it was a steep ascent to the top of a ridge. Look, a coral mushroom. I passed the Leskinen Creek campsite. Hikers are advised not to camp there overnight because a local bear has figured out how to get into the bear bags. Smarter than the average bear I guess. 

On my way back down from that ridge I encountered a boggy area where lady slippers grow. This area has a path of logs sawed in half and covered with chicken wire so they're not slippery. The logs were old and some teetered side to side. I walked carefully and I was glad I had my walking stick.

After 3 miles I came to Park Hill road which was my destination yesterday but I didn't make it.

I kept walking down hill. The weather was partly cloudy with a temperature in the 70's and low humidity. Perfect weather for a walk in the woods.

Wow. Just imagine how huge and thick the glacier was that left this glacial erratic in this particular spot. That rock is the size of a two story cabin!

This boardwalk section looks brand new.

I am back on the boardwalk at Sawmill Bog. I don't see any moose around. Today I added 4.6 miles making my new total on the Superior Hiking Trail 151.4. I have 180.7 left to go.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...