Friday, September 4, 2020

The Motion Of A Body Through Space

 After I finished reading The Motion Of A Body Through Space I noticed the author's name was Lionel Shiver. I thought for sure the author was a woman. I looked Lionel Shriver up on google and it turns out she is a woman named Margaret who changed her name to Lionel because she didn't like Margaret.  In this story a married couple are going through a transition. Remington, age 62, is fired from  his job at the Department of Transportation. He decides to take up running a marathon to give a focus and take up his time. Serenada, Remington's wife, is still working as a voice over artist and reader of audio books, is giving up her casual habit of running ten miles a day because her knees have no cartilage left. Her doctor says she needs two knee replacements because of overuse. While Serenada is adjusting to less exercising, Remington is adjusting to any exercising. This leads to marital conflict. Serenada and Remington do love each other but once Remington completes his marathon and decides to do a triathalon, Serenada reaches her limit. She does not want to be the one on the sidelines cheering while her husband gets the glory. Their verbal sparring is intense. Remington and Seranada keep repeating the same complaints about each other which, I guess, is what married people tend to do. I liked the book but I think the marital discord went on far too long. I did enjoy the through explanation of our society's views about exercise. Some sections were very entertaining.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...