Friday, January 8, 2021

What A Difference A Year Makes

A year ago today was my last day at work. I got up at six a.m. Breakfast was at 6:30. I left the house at 6:50. I arrived at work before 7:30.I went to meetings and cleaned out my office. I wipe all the surfaces and even vacuum the floor. Lunch was at 11:30.  I had a retirement party at 1 until 3. I cleared out all my stuff and set my email to indicate I was retiring and who to call if anyone needed anything. I was getting ready to leave at 4 p.m. when I took a few minutes to play one last prank on my successor. See that overhead bin on the left there? Do you see two pieces or ribbon stapled to the fabric to the left and right of the keyhole? I set it up so that when he opened the overhead bin and slid the cover up, nine rubber balls about an inch and a half in diameter fell out of the bin and bounced off the desk. Not the best prank, only a little harmless fun. After that I turned in my keys and headed to my car for another retirement party that lasted until 9. And then I went home exhausted.

\A year later I wake up at 6:30 on my own without an alarm clock. I fall back asleep until 7:30. I get up and make a pot of coffee. I drink coffee and read the news. Breakfast is at 8:30. I read more news and drink more coffee until 9:30. I practice music on my piano for an hour. I work on a sewing project until noon at which time I have lunch. At 1 I head out the door and go for a six mile walk. I pause to take a photo of the beautiful rime frost on some weeds. I pause again on the way home to watch a freighter ship pass through the canal. As the ship goes under the lift bridge the captain sounds the horn one long and two short blasts. The bridge responds with one long and two short blasts. I guess this ship is carrying iron ore. I keep walking and make it home by 3. I read my mail and sew until 4:30. I take a shower and have dinner. I talk on the phone for an hour with a friend who is recovering from Covid-19. A year ago I had a good day. Today I had a good day. Life is at a slower pace but I am becoming accustomed to that.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...