Tuesday, March 9, 2021

In Grateful Amazement

 

Today I decided to take my daily hike on the Lakewalk. I also had to get groceries so I parked at the Superone Grocery on East Superior Street and walked west for 3.4 miles and turned around and came back. People were gathered at this fence here between the Lakewalk and that railroad track. There was something dark by the culvert under the railroad tracks. At this point in my journey I was a few blocks uphill from the Glensheen mansion.

The dark spot was a bear! A city bear! Most of the people thought it was a female bear. No cub was sighted. She was moving pretty slowly and groggily. Sometimes she pawed at the grass but I never saw her eat anything. She must be hungry and thirsty. After a while she turned around and sat on that log. She scratched her belly which made her right foot move back and forth. She bent her head and I think she was licking her fur. Some bystanders said she slept in that culvert all winter. I stood there in grateful amazement for 15 minutes watching the bear sitting on a log.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...