Monday, March 1, 2021

The Best American Short Stories of 2020

 Normally I am a huge fan of short story collections. In the case of The Best American Short Stories of 2020, not so much. Each year a different author is allowed to make the selections so each year is a very different set of stories. Of the twenty stories I liked six. But those six were really great. There is one called "Kennedy" that was spellbinding. "The Apartment" was also good plus the added benefit where the old person triumphed over a younger one. I really enjoyed "The Hands of Dirty Children." "Howl Palace" was set in Alaska and that was good too. "Rubber Dust" was a story about schoolchildren that made me feel guilty even though I didn't do the things those kids did. "Octopus VII" was another interesting short story about an art student. The other stories I really didn't care for.


No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...