Friday, March 5, 2021

The Lying Life Of Adults

 Elena Ferrante wrote The Lying Life Of Adults. The story, like nearly all her stories, is set is Naples, Italy. I know I have read something of hers before but I just can't recall which book it was. The main character in this one is Giovanna, the teenaged daughter of a pair of elite high school teachers. In the beginning of the story Giovanna tries hard to please her parents. At about age 15 her parents behave in ways she disapproves and she rebels. Even though her father and her Aunt Victoria have not spoken to each other for years, Giovanna decides to become acquainted with her prickly Aunt who lives in the warehouse district of Naples. Her Aunt blames Giovanna's father for every disappointment in her life. Without an honest adult role model in her life, Giovanna becomes involved in the romantic affairs of those around her. I listened to this audio book and the reader is Marisa Tomei who is of Italian heritage. As she reads the story I can really hear her roll her r's as she reads off the names of Italian churches, streets and piazzas. Her talent as a reader only added to my enjoyment of the story. 



No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...