Saturday, May 29, 2021

Lupine

 

Things are blooming in Duluth. I figured out this shrub in my front yard with the yellow blossoms is Siberian peashrub which is considered to be a noxious, invasive weed. I just moved out of a house where the front yard was lined with Amur maple which is another noxious week and now I find I have the same problem here. The difference I am not the landowner. These shrubs are all over in Duluth. There are four houses with this shrub lining the sidewalk on my block. The gray house in the background is my neighbor's. Their house used to be a local grocery/candy store. They don't have any noxious weeds. These nice neighbors landscape with local plants only. 

Lupine are starting to open. I went on a six mile walk today. On my way there I didn't see any lupine. On my way back I see them in four places. How did I miss them?

This is my view from Skyline Parkway. The lupine are visible in the center of the photo. In the background is Lake Superior. Not visible in the distance are sailboats and yachts. Today would be a great day to go sailing on Lake Superior.

Other things in bloom are lilacs. Duluth has a lot of lilacs. Some people say Duluth has the longest flowering lilacs of any other city. Also in bloom are lily of the valley. I picked one and held to my nose as I walked. I love the smell of lily of the valley. Crabapples are still in bloom plus apple trees and plum trees. The air in the city smells great! Tomorrow I am going on a wild flower walk at the Boulder Lake Environmental Learning Center. I am crossing my fingers we find Lady Slippers blooming.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...