Saturday, May 22, 2021

Today's Walk

Today was a nice warm day to I decided to take a scenic walk on the lake walk. I put on my Chacos and left the house. I parked by the Holiday gas station on London Road right where Highway 35 ends. There is a parking lot behind the gas station for people to park who want to use the paved path. The path leaves the parking lot and heads down the hill to cross the railroad track and go under London Road. The air is nice and cool in that tunnel. I headed west toward the lift bridge. As I walked the North Shore Scenic Trail went by. I have seen it go by a couple of times this year already but it was empty. Today the train had people in it. Did I wave to the people on the train? Yes I did and many waved back. People on bikes and skate boards and roller blades and electric scooters passed me. One guy on a bicycle was wearing a blue backpack on his back and sticking it's head out of the backpack was a Scotty dog. Sailboats and fishing boats were in the water. The air had that fresh piney smell. From a distance I saw an ore boat come out of the canal and head out. I walked past this sculpture garden. This sculpture is called "Green Bear" and it's from Duluth's sister city, Petrozavodsk, Russia. The bears are facing each other with a tulip in the middle.

This one is called Water and Friendship and is from Ohara-Isumi city in Japan. The air is perfumed sweet with the blossoms.

This one is called Arising. After leaving the sculpture garden I got into the very busy sidewalks of Canal Park. Traffic was backed up and tourists were everywhere enjoying the nice day. I saw people dining inside and outside in restaurants and distilleries. Shops were open. People were eating ice cream cones and drinking iced coffee. The food smelled delicious. I thought about the many times I came to Duluth as a tourist and how much fun I had.

Here is the Vista Fleet heading out. Did I wave to the passengers as they went by? Yes, and they waved back too. A fishing boat equipped with downriggers left the harbor followed by a sailing yacht and three jet skis. Each jet ski had two people on it. Jet skis are loud and annoying but they look like fun and I would like to try one some day but not on Lake Superior. I would prefer a smaller lake for the first time on a jet ski. It was time for me to head back to my car. As I walked along the train went by again. Yes, I waved. Families were having picnics on the shore or off of the trail at one of many picnic tables. Near Leif Erikson park the azaleas and tulips and hyacinth were in bloom. This is a very pretty place. Some people were playing Frisbee in the lawn spotted with dandelions. Two grackles were harassing a crow who complained loudly long after the grackles let it alone. I saw song sparrows and robins and ring billed gulls. As I approached my car I was sad the walk was over but 6.8 miles is enough for this day.

 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...