Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Cooler Than Snakes

 Yesterday we went on a nature walk at Sauchest Point. We stopped to look inside at the nature center which I recognized because I came here years ago when Offspring #1 graduated from officer candidate school. We walked along the rocky beach to the point. We were hoping to see a seal but no luck on seeing seals. We found five snakes. One was, I was positive, a stick. After watching a stick for 30 seconds it bent in half and slithered away. We guessed it was a worm snake. As we watched the snake crawl into a hole, a man said he saw other snakes warming themselves on the gravel path. He added that he also saw harlequin ducks on the point. We hurried to the point. We saw a raft of 30 dark ducks and two whiter ducks out in the bay. We figured out the whiter ducks were Eider ducks. I have never seen an eider duck before I starting caring about birds. So yeah! An eider duck (from which eider down is made) was added to my list. Closer to shore were two diving ducks. As they dived they shoved their bodies upward before descending. The wind was high and the waves were choppy. Wind blew the water spray across the crest of the waves away from us. I pulled out the binoculars. We saw two harlequin ducks fishing in the choppy sea. Double yeah! I saw eider and harlequin ducks today! Snakes are cool but ducks are cooler. Also, with a four year old, be sure to have some peanuts or Lara bars in your pocket to enjoy at your destination.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...