Saturday, January 29, 2022

Ice

Today I was walking along the shore of Lake Superior and I kept hearing a rattling sound. I thought I was hearing the sound of a sink full of china plates ratting around in hot soapy water.as the dishwasher reached for a new plate to scrub. What I was hearing was the sound of plates of 2 inch thick ice grinding against the shore. Some plates of moving ice went below the stationary ice and some went above the ice, broke into pieces and were shoved to shore.

Sometimes a 4 foot square pane of ice got pushed upright so the incoming ice was blocked from going forward. Sometimes a group of ice panes five feet in length were moved forward toward shore. The ice kept coming and kept pushing steadily.

The movement of the ice was relaxing and mesmerizing. I wasn't the only one who stopped to watch the ice movements. Other people stood there watching the ice move fascinated by the sight and sounds.

 

No comments:

Tom Lake

  Ann Patchett wrote Tom Lake in 2023. This is a family novel. Three daughters want to know about their mother's life prior to her marr...