Thursday, January 27, 2022

Bog Drive

Today the weather warmed up to a balmy 15 degrees so I drove out to the Sam Zim bog to see what I could see. I stopped at a board walk and found a flock of red polls at a feeder. As I went along the boardwalk I came to a young couple sitting on the boardwalk with giant camera lenses pointed into the brush. They motioned me to be quiet. They saw a bobcat walking through the brush and were hoping to catch another glimpse of it. I stayed quiet. I waited for 5 minutes. A black billed magpie flew above us. When I got cold enough I retreated back to my car hoping I didn't scare the bobcat away.

At the welcome center I saw some gray jays feeding.

Pine grossbeaks were feeding too. Later I saw a group of 9 ravens feeding on a deer carcass lying in the ditch. The ravens were camera shy. I had a nice drive through the bog. I kept my eye out for wolf tracks but had no luck.

 

No comments:

Tom Lake

  Ann Patchett wrote Tom Lake in 2023. This is a family novel. Three daughters want to know about their mother's life prior to her marr...