Tuesday, May 10, 2022

High Water


 Today is the first truly warm day of the year so far. I put on my shorts and went for a  hike after checking my streams. Here is a picture of the Cloquet River. I am standing on a snowmobile bridge looking upstream. Islands are  under water. The river has overflowed the banks a little and riparian trees are now feeling the current six inches above their roots. I saw a snow shoe hare dart off the path and freeze in the thick brush. Sunlight poured down on it making the hare's ears look pink and translucent. Some wood frogs and peepers were calling but the chorus frogs were the noisiest. The catkins from the aspen trees were falling on my head. I am very happy to trade my winter cap for a sun hat.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...