Friday, May 6, 2022

The Harlem Shuffle

 I read Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead and I liked it so that is why I picked up his latest novel, Harlem Shuffle. This tale is about Ray Carney who lives in Harlem with his pregnant wife and daughter in the early 1960's. Ray's father was a troubled man and a criminal. Ray is trying to live his life differently. He owns a furniture store with new and used furniture for sale. Ray has a cousin, Freddie, who chooses a life of crime. Ray has decisions to make. Should he help his cousin by fencing items or try to rely strictly on the furniture business to support his family? This novel is part historical fiction, part crime and part family saga. The author has a way of making me feel I myself was walking down those streets in Harlem.


  

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...