Monday, September 23, 2024

Crex

Today I drove 20 minutes to visit Crex Meadows. I have been here before with a couple car loads of Master Naturalists. I visited the visitor center and got a nice map with 20 spots marked to visit and a paragraph or two about each spot. This area was used to make carpets of Carex sedges back when they made carpets out of sedges. Now it is an important place for waterfowl to rest during migrations. Much of the area is off limits to hunters and trappers.

I saw 5 pairs of trumpeter swans, many Canadian Geese, several sand hill cranes and, most important of all, I scared 3 sharp tail grouse off the road.

Much of the land has been restored to look like it did in the early 1800's

 

No comments:

Central High School

Today I drove to downtown Little Rock to visit the Central High School National Park. This is a gas station restored to look like 1957 acros...