Saturday, December 20, 2014

Christmas Bird Count

Today we went on the Christmas bird count in the south east section of the pie near the Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge.  We had a great moving driving around and looking at bird feeders in the area.  On this day, and no other, I get very judgmental about people who have empty bird feeders.  And the first thing I did when I got home was to fill up my bird feeders!  On our 43 mile journey we saw 5 trumpeter swans, 3 mallards, 3 turkeys, 3 bald eagles, 2 rock pigeons, 1 mourning dove, 2 red bellied woodpeckers, 1 downy woodpecker, 2 pileated woodpeckers, 38 (yes, 38!) blue jays, 25 crows, 9 black capped chickadees, 3 white breasted nuthatches, 6 cedar waxwings, and 4 juncos.  We met a nice couple from Oak Grove and had a good time talking, looking for birds, and enjoying the pleasant weather together.  This couple mentioned at a party the night before that they were going on a Christmas Bird count and someone said, "Oh, I don't think I could do that.  I have no idea what a Christmas bird looks like."  Hilarious.

No comments:

The Beach At Summerly

Beatriz Williams is the author of the historical fiction novel called The Beach At Summerly . The story takes place on Winthrop Island. The ...